Available Simulation Software and Their Capabilities

Forums Software and programming language Simulation software Available Simulation Software and Their Capabilities

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Zuf Wang
    Participant

I’ve seen FlexSim, Simul8, and Arena used in industry. What are other simulation software/packages commonly used in industry? How do they differentiate amongst themselves?

I wish we learned FlexSim as opposed to Arena in class. FlexSim is much more robust and fun in my opinion.

John Kroening
    Participant

We use Simul8. I have heard of some of our engineers using Simio (open-source, typically disliked by our IT team). Simulation has struggled to gain wide spread adoption in our company. This is ironic as we are in a fast paced, low volume, high mix manufacturer and we do a LOT of line balancing. It would seem we are the perfect fit when trying to optimize our business for efficiency. I theorize it has struggled to gain adoption for 2 reasons. First, we struggle with obtaining reliable input data on lengthy process. As work shifts around the plant it becomes difficult to manage time study data at an accuracy acceptable for simulation. Second, we need a champion! If one of our engineers were to step up by looking at historical data and measuring the benefit of simulation he or she would gain acceptance and be given more time to continue work in simulation. A classic case of, “The proof is in the pudding.”

Mohammed Ali
    Participant

Simulation is a broad term and is defined as the use of methods and applications to imitate or mimic real-time systems. A simulation model helps in answering “what if” questions. It enables decision makers to test their solutions and, based on the simulation results, make appropriate decisions.

With regard to Manufacturing, simulation can be used to model entire production processes, including material handling, bottle neck analysis manufacturing system design, facilities design, aggregate planning, scheduling, and material requirements planning.

During my career, I used CFD packages to simulate the flow of fluids and understand threshold values that can impact the design and visualize the overview of a fluid flow. I saw also FEA used in weld designing and weld analysis as a tool to help identifying and eliminating problems such as stress corrosion and fatigue strength related to residual stresses introduced in welded regions. Both FEA and CFD have a huge benefit of early product developing and possible design iteration. It also save money prior to developing Alpha samples by making sure the final architecture design can be trusted.

For standard work and time simulation I used EASE (Engineering Assembly Standards Estimate). EASE is helpful we it comes to developing the time for manual operation. It provides a big database for the optimum standard work for most of the manual processes .For Value stream transformation and mapping I used eVSM to create and develop current and future value stream map. Very neat software, it makes all the calculation for you like Takt time, Bottle neck visualization, Kanban calculation & lead time calculation. I found the tool helpful also when you present to senior management.

Various simulation software packages are available to aid in designing, planning, and verifying assembly processes. I used Pro-E (Known today as Creo) to develop CAD models.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress