City or Company? Which is more important?

Forums Social life and activity College life City or Company? Which is more important?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Melissa Peskin 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Grace Ziegler
    Participant

I think this depends on the person and what they value more. If someone is a home body, they would base their decisions on companies and the job experience alone. But for those who like being out of the house and adventuring, they will take the city into higher account than a company. I agree with the posts above and think that each person has to decide which is more important to them as they begin their career.

AJ Lingg
    Participant

For me I plan on putting city ahead of job initially, but then prioritizing the job once I have settled into an industry and figured out what exactly I want in a job.

Veronica White
    Participant

Hey Colin,

I agree with all of the above comments. The best case scenario is to be in a place you love, doing something your passionate about, and working for a company that appreciates you. However, the real world is rarely perfect and even if/when you find a job that matches all of these criteria, some of these things may come and go due to company seizures, changing co-workers/bosses,  growing as a person, other life changes. Therefore, it is OK to focus on one or some of these objectives in hopes you’ll figure out the rest later.

My personal rule of thumb is first you have to make sure your home life is happy, therefore making sure you have a  network of friends, have a good living situation, and being somewhere you like. If your happy in your home life you’ll be able to find ways to make your work-life more on target with what you want (i.e. finding a better job later, finding ways to get more responsibility/experience in your current job, etc).

If your still in the process of looking I would actually recommend to go ahead and focus on the city or two you know you want to live in. If it is a city this shouldn’t limit your possible career paths. Cutting down to the location can really give you a good idea of what companies/jobs are in that area, creates a smaller job pool, which can make you more carefully consider if they are a good fit, and hopefully make you more invested in the jobs your applying for. Being more invested will also help you preform better in interviewing.

Now if your deciding between two job offers where (1) is the “perfect job” but a bad location vs (2) is an ok job in the best location. I would say don’t take (2), and maybe take (1). Don’t take (2) because you can probably find  a better job you love in the city you want. As for (1), I would definitely take it if you love the company and the position AND you think there is an opportunity to move around the company to where you want to live in the future. I would also take if if you could see yourself working there for a couple years, people change companies all the time and getting great experience in what you love can help propel your future career, when looking for future opportunities.

Overall, do your best to first find a job you love where you love to be. If you can’t? It’s all about a balance of current and future happiness. Don’t do anything that will make you miserable currently (you most likely won’t preform well in your job), but consider how your decision(s) can make you happier in your next job. Remember you are graduating from a top university and a top industrial engineering degree program. You are a valuable asset and any company would be lucky to have you, so don’t compromise at the expense of your happiness. You will find a good job if you keep looking and don’t be afraid to wait it out a little bit if you can. 🙂

Graham Dalsing
    Participant

I feel as if company is more important, however, like anything, there is a compromise which must be made. The company you work for is where a large portion of your time will be spent, so it is important to enjoy it. However, it is important to consider things such as closeness to family and rural vs urban settings.

Claire Johnson
    Participant

To me, it is definitely city. I am planning to go back home to Minnesota after this and get a job there since that is where my family is and where I grew up and I have loved living there. I think having a certain company in mind is great, but a lot of the times you can find a job in any city you go to and picking the city is going to make you happier in the long run.

Melissa Peskin
    Participant

This is a great question and I think it really depends on the type of person you are. For me personally, the city is more important because I like to be near close friends and family and going to a new city for a job would be kind of difficult. However, many people see it as an opportunity to get out of their comfort zone, meet new people, and create a life in a new city that may be unfamiliar to them.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress