Data analytics/CS minor for IE students

Forums Academic discussion Data mining and analytics Data analytics/CS minor for IE students

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    adam liusie
    Participant

When I came as a freshman I was initially studying Computer Engineering and Computer Science. During my sophomore year, I switched my major to Industrial Engineering and now I am a senior. I have just found out recently that by just selected specific CS/ISYE classes I will be able to graduate on time at the end of the year and potentially get a CS minor focused on data analytics without taking an extra semester. I was told that the classes that I would have to take are extremely difficult and now I am in a dilemma on what to do. Is the CS minor very beneficial paired with the IE major and would it be worth the additional strain during my last semester? or would employers not differentiate it?

Mohammed Syed
    Participant

In general, wouldn’t hurt to stand out + have an extra qualification. However given the strain during a major semester, would it really be worth it? My assumption is an IE major has taken enough programming classes in some shape and form to deal with IE problems. ISYE 412 as an example, introduces students to R and Tableau, major tools in statistics/ analytics and visualization. For an entry level position in IE, I somehow doubt one’s required to know deeper programming. In one of my job interviews in optimization, the focus was on IE type software packages in optimization such as GUROBI. Although I have a few years in software engineering, it did not matter at all. Job descriptions differ so may be there is an outlier position that combines CS minor level programming in C++ and IE but would be great to weigh the benefits.

Nate
    Participant

I think the CS minor would be beneficial to you if you plan to work in a CS-related field. The CS classes included in the ISYE curriculum (CS301, ISYE 412, CS310, etc.) would probably provide you with more than enough knowledge to use Python or other programming languages in a more “traditional” industrial engineering role. However, if you plan to work for a tech company or work in a position that requires higher-level programming knowledge, it might make sense for you to get the CS minor in addition to taking the CS courses included in the ISYE curriculum.

adam liusie
    Participant

Thanks, guys, I appreciate all the advice. I agree that the CS would be beneficial in the tech field and will be deciding shortly if it would be worth pursuing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress