Data Analytics in Healthcare

Forums Academic discussion Healthcare Data Analytics in Healthcare

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Emily Vesper 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Michael M.
    Participant

I was wondering how data analytics/ data mining is used, if it is at all, in the healthcare field. It seems like a very valuable asset that industrial engineerings can use to help hospitals or other healthcare companies for example.

Isabel Nutting
    Participant

This is a great question and happens to be the industry I plan to work in upon graduating.  Data Analytics is a tool that can be applied to almost any organization to help improve their business case. It can help to improve efficiency, reduce cost, increase patient satisfaction, and several more providing life saving outcomes.  The main purpose of utilizing data analytics in healthcare is to efficiently collect and analyze dataset to solve a problem in an environment that is unpredictable at a fast rate and to assess methods and treatments faster, track the high levels of inventory and medical equipment and supplies, and tools to improve patient satisfaction by involving them in their health delivery directly.  Here are a couple examples of ways that data analytics can be applied in healthcare:

1. Predicting and modeling the patient demand for services in order to determine the level of staffing required that improves efficiency at a low cost, while increasing patient satisfaction
    2. Electronic health records allowing patients to easily access their information as well as allowing other medical professionals to easily access a patients information, keeping a complete record
    3. Developing an electronic method of prescribing medication to increase efficiency in public health facilities
    4. Utilizing health data for informed strategic planning such as the availability of health services geographically by analyzing areas that have high patient demand

As you can see data analytics can be applied to various areas in healthcare, which is an industry dealing with large, complex sets of data.

Jack Grahek
    Participant

Reply to Michael M. of #4020:

Hi Michael,

Isabel brings up a great point – that data mining is incredibly useful as predictive analytics in a highly variable industry. One thing I would like to add though, is that data analytics can be used for much lower scale tasks as well. For example, since care is usually highly dependent on large diverse teams (since various experts are needed) it is important to track the timing of various consultations. By recording in real time when a patient has been seen, it is much easier to identify bottleneck in patient care and avoid the care team to pointing the finger at others who are allegedly slow at getting to the patient. By increasing data access points throughout healthcare administration facilities, there is a drastic increase in transparency, thus allowing management to make informed decisions on critical projects/initiatives.

Emily Vesper
    Participant

Reply to Michael M. of #4020:

As a student in ISyE 417 (Health Systems Engineering), I have been fascinated to learn about the lack of clean data in healthcare. Since there is a lack of IT infrastructure in healthcare, many topics of interest are not closely tracked, thus data is not available. I know sometimes data collections need to be done manually to get the scope to land in your focus area. Data is critical in decision making, so recording more data is the first step to making data based decisions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress