Engineering Excel Course at UW-Madison

Forums Software and programming language General software and programming Engineering Excel Course at UW-Madison

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Alec Bernstein
    Participant

I am set to graduate at the end of May and looking back at the IE curriculum and engineering pre-requisites, I wish I gained more experience with some more advanced topics within Excel. IE’s learn some advanced Excel in ISyE 313 and 323, however, in my opinion I think a course dedicated to Excel would help prepare all IE’s for after graduation. What are people’s thoughts on this?

Veronica White
    Participant

I did my undergraduate at Iowa State. There the ISYE Engineering 101 course was a course in using Excel formulas and VBA macros. It is one of the most valuable courses I have taken, as I have used it in every internship I have had and for many homework assignments and projects.

The flip slide is other engineering focused on learning Matlab or Python, where my undergraduate experience lacks.

I am not aware of any formal courses here at UW-Madison, but I know DoIT has some workshops throughout the semester on various technical software https://at.doit.wisc.edu/events/month/?tribe_eventcategory%5B%5D=37 There you could take the workshops on the skill you are particularly interested in.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I definitely agree with you on this.

It would be helpful to have dedicated material ready for use by professionals but quite frankly, it has been deemed to rest on the individual who needs the experience or wants to strengthen themselves in Excel foundations

I take courses on Lynda which is free via UW and I also use frequent practice to continue to build relevance as problems comes my way. I also use it in personal finances and play with codes when I get homework assigned to me in any class.

I enjoy playing with the formulas and I think with an interest in improvement, you’ll get to the point where you’re good enough to perhaps take a certification course with Microsoft to make it all official.

Some links:

https://analysistabs.com/vba-code/excel-userform/

https://wellsr.com/vba/page2

Anonymous
    Inactive

I couldn’t agree more with having a course dedicated to learning Excel. The Business school requires its students to complete a 1-credit Excel course and I believe the ISyE department should do the same. Most of the information I learned about Excel from 313 and 323 is already lost because I never had the base knowledge of Excel. Having this knowledge would have saved me a lot of time on homework and most of the professions I am interested in will require it.

Michael Kemnitz
    Participant

Hi Alec,

I completely agree with you. I think that a lot of the classes we take as ISyE students that require using Excel, it’s a lot of “learn as you go.” Daniel previously replied about the 1 credit course dedicated to learning Excel; I think this would be useful to all ISyE students as well.

-Michael Kemnitz

Kyle Raddatz
    Participant

Alec,

I have found the most effective way to learn Excel is to use it for projects (school and internships) and stay curious about how to automate calculations/data cleaning. Whenever I wonder if I can get Excel to do something complex, I look it up on Stackoverflow, and more often than not, it is possible and I’m blown away by all of the features Excel has. Also, The Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE) typically hosts 1/2 events per semester where Doit will hold a class on advanced Excel/VBA functions and applications.

Chenyi Zhao
    Participant

I definitely agree with you. I have an internship right now, which needs some basic skills. However, sometimes I found what I knew is not useful for my work, but a lot of excel skills I am supposed to know, but I still need to google it. If there can have a course that professor may be can help summary some skills that he/she thinks students may need to know for their IE career path that will be great.

Melissa Peskin
    Participant

Alec,

I totally agree with you that getting more experience with excel would be very helpful and a great addition to the IE curriculum. It would allow us to have a good base for future projects and uses of the program. As Daniel said earlier, the business school requires all of its students take a 1-credit excel course and I agree that this would be very beneficial for us as IE students.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •