future courses offered at UW Madison

Forums Academic discussion Data mining and analytics future courses offered at UW Madison

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Scott Sazama 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Scott Sazama
    Participant

Good morning,

I am currently taking ISyE 412 at UW Madison. So far i have enjoyed the material and was wondering what courses people go on to take after 412?

Anonymous

I took the course ISyE 601: Interactive Data Visualization last semester and I highly recommend it if it’s offered again. The class teaches you data analytic techniques and graphing methods for the datasets you create. The course was well-paced but you still get a lot of information out of it because it emphasizes human factor visualization techniques too (it fulfills the IE Human Factors elective). It seems very similar to the 412 project but the class is in R instead so you’ll get to learn another language too.

Scott Sazama
    Participant

unfortunately this course is not being offered this summer of fall. Do you have any other suggestions? Maybe something in the statistics department?

Anonymous

Reply to Scott Sazama of #4406:

I’m unfamiliar with any course in the Stats department that would be similar to the material in 412. I believe most of the classes offered revolve around R but they stick to the mathematical side of it, not the visualization aspects. If you want to strengthen your R skills though, they offer 3 1-credit courses over the length of the semester.

Kylie Hellenbrand
    Participant

Reply to Scott Sazama of #4339:

Hi Scott!

It actually does look like ISyE 601: Interactive Data Visualization is being offered for Fall 2019. The lectures take place T, TH 9:30-10:45 am in ME and are taught by John Lee. I was able to find it in the Course Guide as well as Course Search & Enroll in MyUW. I also spoke with Professor Liu about courses after ISyE 412, and he said he teaches ISyE 691, which covers similar information but goes more into detail. However, I am not sure if 691 is offered every semester.

Hope this helps!

Scott Sazama
    Participant

Reply to Kylie Hellenbrand of #4422:

Thanks Kylie! I got an email about the course a couple days ago and am not registered for it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress