Hard interview questions for IE jobs

Forums Social life and activity Job hunting Hard interview questions for IE jobs

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  J Weigandt 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Bhurin Pisitthakarn
    Participant

What are some difficult interview questions for industrial engineering related positions?

Kyle Raddatz
    Participant

Bhurin,

I have been through many interviews, and very few of them asked technical questions about industrial engineering. Most interviewers aren’t trying to trick you, they just want to learn more about you and your industrial engineering experience. The hardest question I have had to answer was, “if we spoke to your past managers, what would they each say you need to improve upon?” It was tricky because it requires self-reflection, but it is essentially just a variation of “what are your biggest weaknesses?” The best way to answer those is to be honest and finish your response with the steps you have taken to improve upon those weaknesses.

Ashley Hellenbrand
    Participant

I agree with Kyle as I have interviewed multiple times and have never been asked a super technical question about IE. What I have found most influential in interviews is talking about your IE experience as it naturally fits into conversation. When answering an interview question, I try to connect it to an academic project I’ve completed. Talking about specifics such as what you designed, how you completed the project, and things you learned from the project are great points. Overall, if you can connect what you’ve done in school, projects, and other work experiences to the company you’re interviewing with, that is a great way to show you are qualified and excited about the job.

Hannah Nguyen
    Participant

One of the hardest question I got so far is not really about technical but about your people skill. I was asked how to ask operators/supervisors to change their method and convince them to do so even when they are stubborn and refuse to change?

Ryan Yan
    Participant

As previous replies all mentioned, it is not necessarily the technical or academic part of you that they are trying to test— you made it to the interview and that means you already passed those tests— what the company wants to know now is how you deal with people and how you react in different situations (one of my professor even told us at this point  what company really want is to make sure they are hiring someone ‘who would not embarrass them’. A little wild of an interpretation but I think it makes some sense). Self-reflection questions are usually hard as you’ll have to answer them in a way that both show you know your weaknesses AND turn that weakness into something that can ‘sell’ you to the company HR.

J Weigandt
    Participant

“Tell me about a time when you solved a really difficult problem.”

This is a question that I had not prepared for. Most of the other “Tell me about a time when…” questions I had already pre-thought out answers for, but this one really made me think, as it will also qualify what you consider a “really difficult” problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress