How come R is used more than other programming language?

Forums Academic discussion Data mining and analytics How come R is used more than other programming language?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jin-ri Lee
    Participant

It seems that a lot of classes prefer to use R in data analytics. I’m guessing because R is easy to use for visualization but for actual analytics portion, I think there are better programs than R. But still want to know why people use R more than other languages!

William Wirono
    Participant

I think computer languages depends on their usage. I have seen a lot of my peers use python for machine learning-related projects. Based on their testimony, they find python much more user-friendly compared to its counterparts. Apart from python, I have also seen the trend of the usage of MATLAB for big data computation. I think MATLAB and R are quite similar in features. Let me know what you think!

Zhehan Zhang
    Participant

Based on my experience, I would say R is lighter than MATLAB, it does not need as much resource as MATLAB does. Also MATLAB is not free while R is open sourced, so there is less to worry about. Still, MATLAB is a very friendly tool for data analytic beginners, it combines a lot of tools and is very easy to use even without coding experience, but for more advanced analytic demands, R might be more suitable.

Bhurin Pisitthakarn
    Participant

From my experience, on top of it being free and very easy to use, I think R does a great job of combining useful applications from multiple software. R is best known for its environment for statistical computing and graphics, which allow it to replace data analysis and data visualization software, such as Stata, Microsoft Excel, and Tableau. In addition, R can also serve as general purpose coding platform with various powerful analytics and machine learning tools, making it an ideal replacement for programming languages, such as Python and Matlab.

Luis Finol
    Participant

Well R is used a lot by many industrial engineers and programmers so that contributes to why it is used more than certain languages. My guess is that R provides many calculations and built in features that other languages use and rely on. Using R with other languages and software provides a good combination in statistical analysis.

Chris
    Participant

R has a lot of built in libraries that are extremely useful that is why a lot of people use it. I always got the feel that more people used python than R though.

Zion Richardson
    Participant

You should make a code that combines Python and R. It could be called R-thon 🙂

Jin-ri Lee
    Participant

I really like the idea of R-thon 😀 I’ve been using both programs in R and python but definitely can see the advantages and disadvantages. Thank you for the reply 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress