I am lacking general coding experience, where to start?

Forums Software and programming language General software and programming I am lacking general coding experience, where to start?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Joey
    Participant

I am applying for jobs, but due to my lack of confidence in CS I am somewhat limited in the roles I can apply to. Which programming language should I try to focus on and where to look for resources?

Owen Carr
    Participant

I’d recommend learning Python. It is widely used in industry. It is one of the easier languages to learn, and it has a simple syntax compared to Java or C++. I’d recommend learning Python using Lynda.com. Lynda.com is free with a university login and offers over a hundred Python courses. There are also plenty of other online resources such as Codecademy.

Benny Boelter
    Participant

I would have to agree with Owen. Python was my first experience coding and I thought it was a great language to start with because it is simple syntax and easy to use. I would recommend taking an introductory course either online or at school to get started. Khan Academy is a cool free option for quick tutorial videos

Vrishabh Patil
    Participant

I agree with the above two replies but would also like to add that R is a very useful tool for data handling and analysis. While it might not be the first language I would recommend that you learn, I definitely think that you should have it in your arsenal of programming tools. Swirl-package and data camp are great tools to learn R.

Noah W
    Participant

Although I have never actually completed this course, I have heard great things about CS50 which is offered by Harvard. It is a free online course in which you learn a variety of languages including C, PHP, and JavaScript plus SQL, CSS, and HTML.

Deepak
    Participant

If you have the cushion of taking a course during your studies, then you can opt for 200/300 level courses in the CS department which teach you the basics in programming. If not, Online resources will be the best platform to start with. R and python will help you in the long run but it depends on your field of interest.

Luis Finol
    Participant

I used to be in the same situation. The first language I learned was Java and I think it was very beneficial for me to have learned that one first. I guess it all depends on what kind of work you want to do, if you see yourself working in a job where programming is a core skill, then I would recommend a Java course, as it challenges you adequately on general CS concepts. Then I would move on to Python, which I consider to be easier, and C, which I consider to be harder. However, if programming is just going to be a side skill you rarely use, just go ahead and learn simpler languages.

Chris
    Participant

There is a website called DataCamp that I used to learn R for my ISyE 601 course. It is very helpful. It has online courses with videos and interactive demonstrations, I would highly recommend checking it out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress