Impact of COVID-19 and a potential recession?

Forums Social life and activity Job hunting Impact of COVID-19 and a potential recession?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brittney DeBoer
    Participant

I have heard that many internships are being canceled or postponed due to the coronavirus, is it possible that IE majors will still be able to get jobs after graduation? If there is a recession, will it be more difficult to find a good-paying job? Especially before graduating?

Michael Kemnitz
    Participant

I think IE majors will still be able to get jobs after graduating. Being an IE is so versatile in the sense that there are many different positions/industries you can work in. Sure the coronavirus will make it a bit more difficult, but I don’t think you should worry too much about it. Handshake would be very helpful to look for jobs, and filter the jobs by date posted so you know the companies are hiring during these times.

Andy
    Participant

It will definitely be more difficult to find a job as an IE major if you haven’t already, but it is not impossible. first quarter profit reports are coming out right now and the tech field is doing much better than expected. These companies need industrial engineers to fulfill a variety of responsibilities. It may take a little more effort to find the right position so stay motivated and optimistic!

Noah W
    Participant

Although many internships are being cancelled, I think remote work is an alternative that many companies are turning to. I don’t think that a remote internship would be nearly as beneficial as in-person but it is better than nothing.

Karissa Maciolek
    Participant

I think that there will be job openings for IE’s after this whole COVID-19 Pandemic, because companies will have to re-evaluate their current processes. I am staying hopeful that companies will see all of the benefits IE’s can bring to their company during and after these times!

William Wirono
    Participant

A lot of market analysts believe that there will be a second dip in the stock market. While probably the market seem stable right now due to the stimulus that the Federal Government has been approving, we need to watch out of those as well for a second-stage recession.

Nick L Kolder
    Participant

While I think it will definitely be a harder job market for upcoming graduates versus prior years (with many companies implementing hiring freezes), it is important to at least connect with companies of interest even if they do not have positions open.  I personal relationship with a hiring manager can be many times just as valuable, if not more so than any resume.

Ryan Cody
    Participant

My Co-op is still set for this summer thankfully. Unfortunately, I have had countless amounts of my friends’ internships this summer be canceled. It is crushing to have these opportunities to be taken, however, it is important to remember it is not the end of the world. We have some of the most in-demand skill sets, and now more than ever, increasing effectivity or efficiency is important to corporations. New opportunities will always surface.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress