Interesting Topics of Healthcare

Forums Academic discussion Healthcare Interesting Topics of Healthcare

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Chenyi Zhao 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Shuaikun Hou
    Participant

What are some interesting topics/paper you’ve read related to the healthcare field? Thanks for sharing!

Andrew Trotter
    Participant

If you’re interested in healthcare papers, there are a lot of case studies and examples provided in ISyE 417. One topic I was exposed to for a longer period of time was modeling hospital evacuations due to inclement weather with discrete event simulation. I’d recommend checking it out on the course guide.

Nicholas Kizewski
    Participant

Reply to Shuaikun Hou of #4101: I would like to start by seconding what @andrew Trotter said about ISYE 417. The class offers a very interesting perspective into the would of US healthcare, including topics such as health insurance, different treatment models, etc. A topic that I got the opportunity to research was the use of helicopters to either deliver or supplement health care. The topic is very interesting!

Hanna
    Participant

A topic within healthcare that I find interesting is medical decision analysis. As patients often face various options for treatment, this analysis provides a way to determine which option will result in the highest effectiveness, which is commonly measured in QALYs (quality-adjusted life years). These expected utility values and probabilities must be known for various outcomes. From here, one can calculate and compare expected values and then choose the option with the highest expected value. Although this approach may at first sound straightforward, estimating the expected utility values and probabilities of various outcomes can be challenging.

Ellie Schlaefer
    Participant

Below is a link for one of the cases Andrew and Nick were referring to. You may find it useful. It looks specifically at improving the administering of portable x-rays!

http://asq.org/knowledge-center/case-studies-portable-x-rays.html

Jack Grahek
    Participant

Reply to Shuaikun Hou of #4101:

Hi Shauikun,

A very interesting topic in the healthcare field that specifically relates to industrial engineering concepts is the balance between flexibility in care and standardization. As an industrial engineering student, I am taught that variability is the enemy to excellent outcomes. However, when it comes to healthcare, this is not the case. In the healthcare industry, it is important that standard operating procedures, otherwise known as “playbooks” are implemented, but they can not be so restrictive that providers are unable to be flexible to deliver care that is uniquely tailored to each patient. I have been to a few conferences that address this issue in healthcare, and I recommend you take a look into some publications as well.

Chenyi Zhao
    Participant

As the above replies said, ISYE 417 is a very interesting class about the health care system. After taking this class this semester, I found that industrial engineering actually can help improve the health care system in a lot of fields.  I think one field most popular in using ISYE is the emergency department. We can use ISYE tools to reduce the patient waiting time, and make the whole system run faster.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress