Internship/Co-op Experiences with Quality Engineering

Forums Academic discussion Quality, Statistics and reliability Internship/Co-op Experiences with Quality Engineering

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Allison Winek
    Participant

I had an internship last summer as part of the quality department at my company. It ended up being more technical and hands-on than I expected as an IE student, which was exciting but challenging. It was not as directly related to the topics I’ve learned in some of our IE courses, particularly related to statistics. Would anyone like to share a quality engineering experience that was more statistics-based?

Finley Myers
    Participant

Hi Allison,

What specifically, do you mean by technical? I have been working as a quality engineering co-op/intern for a local manufacturing company for the past year and a half, and have found the experience to require a breadth of technical skills. Specifically, I would break the technical requirements of my current role into the following categories: root cause analysis(~30%), statistics (~25%), print review/interpretation(~20%), metrology (~20%), and fixture design (~5%). Although I found the amount of statistics used in the role to roughly match my expectations, I was surprised at the amount of statistical analysis that was comprised of basic statistics and correlation as opposed to SPC techniques.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •