Manufacturing and Leadership Books

Forums Academic discussion Manufacturing Manufacturing and Leadership Books

This topic contains 10 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Kjerstin Gronski 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Jake Birrenkott
    Participant

Does anyone have any recommendations for books on leadership in a manufacturing environment? Or just manufacturing, leadership, or rising throughout a company books themselves? I am hoping to work my way up to a plant manager or director of ops. position in my career and am looking for any information or suggestions that could help me with this. Thanks for the suggestions.

Trent Rommel
    Participant

The obvious one that comes to mind is The Goal by Eli Goldratt. Additionally another book that I had been recommended for management decision making is Smart Choices: A Practical Guide to Making Better Decisions by John S. Hammond, Ralph L. Keeney, and Howard Raiffa. Smart Choices is supposed to be pretty short and less dense than similar books on the topic.

Sumukh Ramesh
    Participant

I’m unsure on what you meant by leadership. Some books that I have read about personal development are:

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change – Very good read. Very practical and introduces time management systems.

Master Your Time in 10 Minutes a Day: Time Management Tips for Anyone  – Short book. Good read, refers to some concepts mentioned in the book above.
    Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time.

Omar Habib
    Participant

A great book which i recommend is The Richest Man in Babylon. What I really enjoyed about this book was that it showed how to make most of out limited resources (in the book it was budget). In addition, The Goal by Eli Goldratt is a good read as it’s not the traditional business book with a technical teaching style, but rather a story style.

Sarah Brennan
    Participant

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie is a great book! It certainly helps with communication skills and how to work with a multitude of personalities that come with a production floor.

Briggam Knott
    Participant

I saw it posted in the thread, but I want to reiterate it again that “The Goal” by Eli Goldratt is a phenomenal book for manufacturing. It get you in a great mindset and just challenges you to thing differently in a manufacturing setting. One of the big things it hits home is about continuous improvement, and how just because a process is working doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be improved. As for leadership, I really liked “Theodore Roosevelt on Leadership: Executive Lessons from the Bully Pulpit” by James Strock. He was in my opinion one of America’s most influential presidents, and an all around incredible man. You can learn lots on leadership, and many other topics from him.

Ellie Schlaefer
    Participant

Reply to Trent Rommel of #3326: The Goal is a great read!

My favorite quote from the book is:

“utilizing” a resource means making use of the resource in a way that moves the system toward the goal. “Activating” a resource is like pressing the ON switch of a machine; it runs whether or not there is any benefit to be derived from the work it’s doing.”

Julia Hewitt
    Participant

For leadership and networking, a good book is “Never Eat Alone” by Keith Ferrazzi. I would also recommend “The Goal” (a classic IE book) as well as pretty much anything by Malcolm Gladwell.

Dominic Thompson
    Participant

Hey Jake!

Of course, “The Goal” is a great book to read. Another good read was “The Toyota Way” which detailed the many successes of the Toyota production system and the innovative ideas of their engineers.

Veronica White
    Participant

Not so much on Manufacturing but the following are some good leadership or IE related books

“How to Win Friends and Influence People” by  Dale Carnegie

“Out of the Crisis” by Edwards Deming

“Who Get’s What and Why” by Alvin Roth

Kjerstin Gronski
    Participant

I would recommend “Lead with Respect” by Michael and Freddy Balle and “Getting Things Done: the art of stress-free productivity” by David Allen.

I found both of these through a book club at work where I read them and talked about them with Co-workers. I got a lot out of both books and especially from the discussions of them with my peers.

KJ

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress