Masters Plan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Cameron Bentrott
    Participant

I am graduating with a bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering in the spring and will begin working in July. A lot of my fellow industrial engineering students are doing the Master’s program here at University of Wisconsin-Madison. How much of a leg up does a Master’s give in the job search?

Kiran Pandian
    Participant

A masters can definitely help you in your career progress. If you are comfortable with the domain knowledge, I would advice you to not look back and just go for the masters. However, if you feel you need some practical exposure, to feel comfortable about what you have learned in your undergrad, then work for an year or two and then decide. Organizations have a strict hierarchy & to move up the ladder, you have to stand out in any way possible. Masters can not only help you do that, but also will add a myriad of domain knowledge to your arsenal. If you are still not sure, I would advice you to do your masters later. I have seen people end up getting either masters in a completely different domain or an MBA, after an year or two in the workforce.

Hanna
    Participant

I agree that having a masters degree can really help you move up the ladder. Although there are many reasons why it can be a good idea to do a masters right after undergrad, I think a benefit to taking some time to work first is that it can expose people to other areas of specialty that they might not have otherwise considered.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •