MATLAB as a legitimate programming language

Forums Software and programming language General software and programming MATLAB as a legitimate programming language

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ben
    Participant

So I’ve heard that MATLAB is kind of a joke as a programming language and it isn’t as useful as learning other languages. Any input on if MATLAB is a useful tool in the industry or should it just be looked at as another class to fill a requirement

Connor Hull
    Participant

Excellent question Ben, I’ve been learning MATLAB for a computer science requirement and I’m not sure if it is a waste of time. There are interesting things you can do but I am concerned about realistic professional applications.

Cole
    Participant

Reply to Ben of #4644:

I don’t think MATLAB is a “joke” of a programming language at all. MATLAB is very powerful and unique in that it uses matrices as kind of the backbone to its computing. This makes it useful for many fields using a lot of linear algebra, data science, and optimization. I think it is also common to use MATLAB when doing some simulation or image processing. Of course there are many programming languages that can do these things, I think MATLAB is great to know and it is also great for entry-level programmers!

Ben Razidlo
    Participant

MATLAB has a few things going for it. I wouldn’t use it to create an android app, but it’s important at Air Force Research Labs.

1. It is a common language that many researchers use at my organization. It provides a lot of compatibility for collaboration.
    2. There’s fantastic tools built around MATLAB for many applied areas of research. Python is coming along, but there are some irreplaceable tools MATLAB has going on.
    3. There’s cutting-edge hardware that’s designed to interface MATLAB
    Hao Zhou
    Participant

MATLAB is not a programming language in my opinion. It’s really good at numerical analysis and computing. It’s a great tool to solve engineering problems and could also be used to do some research. So it could be very useful in the industry.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •