Most Useful Programming Languages

Forums Social life and activity Job hunting Most Useful Programming Languages

Tagged: 

This topic contains 36 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Joshua Fernandez 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Bella
    Participant

Reply to Rebecca Jin of #2815:

Hi Rebecca!

I think some of the most useful programming languages that I have learned are Excel and Python. A lot of companies can use Excel for a multitude of different reasons or projects so being able to at least understand the basics and a few advanced functions/techniques can get you pretty far. In addition, a lot of the courses I am in now and the companies I have talked to stress how beneficial Python is. Python is a great way to start programming and it can also have many uses across an organization.

Ben Razidlo
    Participant

It depends on career field, but learning any of them makes learning the next thing that much easier. People who will be doing R&D should be getting familiar with Python.

I’m old enough now where each new “must learn” language is getting wearisome, but this is one.

Alec Bernstein
    Participant

I wish I had learned more Python and R at UW. As an IE I took CS 301, which was taught in Python, and CS 310(MATLAB and Maple). Instead of 310, I would have liked to take a more intermediate Python course to build upon the introduction skills taught in 301. I think had I taken one more course, I would have been able to use Python for my internship as well as later in my career.

Zachary Yonish
    Participant

I think Excel has been one of the most useful programs I’ve used and I wish I learned more of the advanced functions in college. I have also found SPSS and other statistical software such as Tableau very useful in analyzing qualitative and quantitative data.

Stephen Bosak
    Participant

Reply to Rebecca Jin of #2815:

Hi Rebecca,

I have found that through my jobs and work in the data science community that python has been the best language to learn and use. I worked at IBM for two years creating data models to predict and prescribe business issues and python is by far the most well known and widely used language. I started by learning Java my sophomore year at UW but haven’t used it since.Python has a plethora of resources for you to use for any application and it is very easy to learn. Also python is very easy to connect to databases and other things you might have to do in data science or analytics.

Ethan Young
    Participant

I am an IE and CS major, so I am quite enamored with using programming languages for Industrial Engineering problems. During a manufacturing internship, I mainly used Python to do data-processing and simulation for my projects. Although Python takes longer to learn, I think it is more powerful than using Excel. Excel restricts you to use the table interface constraints, while Python lets you do virtually anything you want to do. Additionally, Python allows you to make generic scripts to automate away many tedious tasks, freeing up your time to do other things. The one downside of python is that quick visualizations are more difficult to do because it requires reading in the data and processing it, while excel lets you do so with a few clicks of the mouse. Overall, I would recommend adding Python to your toolkit.

Joshua Fernandez
    Participant

As a Economics and Industrial Engineer double major I have found that the most useful langue I have learned is python. I have also used STATA for my econometric class and I found it highly intuitive and easy readable. STATA is a statistical software package that makes is really easy to run regression. As for python I think learning python helped me gain knowledge about how cs languages work in general and helped me understand what is going on within programs. Also if need be I can code something up that is relatively simple with ease.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress