Trouble with interviewing

Forums Social life and activity Job hunting Trouble with interviewing

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  J Weigandt 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Melissa Peskin
    Participant

I always get very nervous about interviewing and feel as though it affects the outcome of the interview as well as my mindset going in. This has made me hesitant when applying to jobs. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions as to how to overcome these issues or ways you might have gone about feeling confident while interviewing?

AJ Lingg
    Participant

I would say just keep applying to as many jobs as you can. Practice interviewing is the only thing that has really helped me out, but after you get the first couple under your belt it is a lot easier to stay composed when you interview.

Kylie Hellenbrand
    Participant

Reply to Melissa Peskin of #4846:

I agree with AJ. I tend to get very nervous for interviews or anytime I have to public speak, and practicing helps a ton. I also try to brainstorm several talking points (school projects, classes, jobs) beforehand along with their takeaways so I’m not scrambling to come up with answers during the interview.

Grace Ziegler
    Participant

I agree the above posts, I get very nervous with public speaking and interviews. But throughout this semester I applied to so many internships and had the opportunity to interview for many of them so the more I did the more comfortable I felt in the next interview. Don’t be hesitant when applying for jobs just because you’re afraid of the interview process. If anything I’d say that applying for more and having interviews for positions that wouldn’t be your first choice still gets you practice and helps getting comfortable with the types of questions being asked.

Ashley Hellenbrand
    Participant

I agree with all the above posts. Like Grace said, I definitely think the more interviews you go to, the better you’ll handle them. Over winter break, I had 5 in-person interviews within a 3 week time frame. By the second, third, etc. interview, I felt really calm. Luckily, my top choice of an employer was my last interview. By that time, I was relaxed and handled any questions with ease. I ended up getting an offer, which was great! In my opinion, practice and repetition is key.

Tina Lu
    Participant

Coming from a person who changed job twice within three years after graduating, I am still very nervous about job interviews. I have been on the hiring end too so the company is definitely interested in you if you are getting an interview. Just relax and make sure you can talk about your resume and how that’s related to the job description/what project would help you succeed in the job. I also found looking at glassdoor before going into an interview helpful.

Kjerstin Gronski
    Participant

Hello.

Reading through this string has made me think a lot about my interviewing experience. I agree with everything everyone has said above and do have a few specific comments that may be useful. One thing that I did prior to interviewing that I found very helpful was to learn as much as possible about the position, company, potential department, etc. prior to going into the interview. I think that it would help me be more confident going into the interview because I felt more prepared and also it can help you tailor your answers to the company and their niche. Obviously honesty is always the key, but there are certainly ways to incorporate the companies beliefs into your experience and also this understanding can help you know what parts of your experience to focus on in the limited time of an interview. Now as part of interviewing committees in my company, I always notice when candidates know about the company and the position and incorporate that knowledge into their responses.

Another tip I have has been said a million times, but I totally recommend looking at sample interview questions and taking the time to either write or at least think through and outline of how you would answer them. You don’t want to look “rehearsed” when answering but being prepared is always a good thing (it also helps me a lot from a confidence perspective).

KJ

J Weigandt
    Participant

Believe it or not, your posture and breathing will help out with your nerves. Also, visualization has been very helpful with preparing – kind of go through mock interviews in you mind ahead of time and see yourself doing well. Be aware of fight- or- flight response, it will mess up your breathing and subsequent ability to be coherent if you let it.

Agree with KJ, and in fact one of my recent interview questions was “Tell me what you did to prepare for this interview”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress