Non-IE curriculum class you find helpful towards your career?

Forums Social life and activity College life Non-IE curriculum class you find helpful towards your career?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  John Ikon 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Ryan Yan
    Participant

What are some non-IE courses (doesn’t even have to be Engineering classes) that you find useful towards building your skills and towards your engineering career?

Kjerstin Gronski
    Participant

Hello.

I was a Chemistry major with an Engineering Minor in college, so I did not take an exactly “traditional” path to getting to be an Engineer in industry. Because of this, I took a lot of different classes than that of a “real/normal” engineering major. In saying that, when I first read this though, I knew right away what my class I took that I would recommend was in school. The class that I took that I know I use the absolute most day to day is Technical Writing. I took it my Senior year (wasn’t a required class but was recommended) and, frankly, I was not looking forward to it at all. I needed credits and thought it was going to be a good space filler. I was so wrong. I think the reason it was so influential was because of an amazing Professor who really showed and tailored the class towards extremely usable skills for Engineers. I learned so much and think about that class very often. I have been in industry for almost 3 years now and know that being able to strongly communicate progress and work in written forms is an extremely important skill that is not always emphasized as much as it should be. I would recommend all students to take some sort of Technical writing course prior to entering their field.

KJ

John Ikon
    Participant

Classes that center around engineering economics is always a great idea. Give you insight into how your manager is looking out for the rest of the year

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress