Non-IE curriculum class you find helpful towards your career?

Forums Social life and activity College life Non-IE curriculum class you find helpful towards your career?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Jackson Lanigan
    Participant

I took CivEng 498 this semester, which I think was very helpful in widening my perspective in terms of engineering problem solving. You always hear how many projects are cross-disciplined, and it was helpful to get a better understanding of some of the Civil Engineering principles in the construction industry.

#7500 Reply
    Karissa Maciolek
    Participant

I am getting the Business Certificate with my IE degree, so I had to take a few extra classes for that. I found the Marketing classes (MKG 300 and MKG 355) I had to take really interesting and it helped to bring to light the other side of a business’s operations (i.e. not the engineering side). I was able to use a lot of the problem solving skills I gained from engineering courses to help come up with creative solutions in these classes too!

#7516 Reply
    James Eberle
    Participant

I took stat 312 and found it very useful. We used real life examples to demonstrate how we can create hypotheses and test them using statistical analysis.

#7909 Reply
    Nate
    Participant

There are two non-IE classes that I think are beneficial to any Industrial Engineer: accounting (ACCT-300) and technical communication (EPD-397). I took managerial accounting, so I learned how to interpret the 3 main financial statements (income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow statement). In EPD-397, I learned how to write resumes/cover letters, memos, proposals, and an in-depth technical report. Although I probably won’t need to write any technical reports after I graduate, the writing skills will carry over to all types of written documents required in my future career. I think both of these classes are very important if you want to have a managerial role in the company you work for.

#7913 Reply
    Alizabeth
    Participant

If you  are interested in the Manufacturing side of Industrial Engineering, ME 313 and ME 314 are great classes to take.  These classes build off of the topics taught in ISyE 315 and 415, and go further into the details of the important equations and properties used in a Manufacturing environment.  Additionally, if you take these two classes as your “electives”, then you are eligible to complete a Certificate in Manufacturing Engineering! See https://www.engr.wisc.edu/academics/undergraduate-academics/certificate-manufacturing-engineering/

#7918 Reply
    Anna Feldt
    Participant

CIV ENGR 491 (Legal Aspects of Engineering) has been super interesting! It’s a lot of case reading and learning about construction contracting and overall aspects of the legal world that are important for engineers to know. I especially recommend if you’ll be working for A/E firms, general contractors, construction companies, etc. but even if you’re not it’s a good break from the technical/math course work and you get more of a conversational/reading/communication oriented class. Plus, the professor Jeffery Aiken is very good. He’s a retired lawyer and provides a different classroom experience than most engineering professors.

#8013 Reply
    Alizabeth
    Participant

I took ME 313/314 as my elective courses.  These helped me get the Manufacturing Engineering certificate with no extra classes necessary.  I am hoping to work as a Manufacturing Engineer post-graduation, or at least in a manufacturing setting, so these classes helped expose me to some important systems and logic commonly used in a manufacturing position. These classes stemmed a bit off of ISyE 315/415 and even ISyE 313.  There were parts of them that were a little more ME heavy, but the content was not too difficult to understand! I really enjoyed the ME 313 labs because we got to work with metals and polymers in a hands-on way!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Non-IE curriculum class you find helpful towards your career?
Your information:

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress