Python for data analytics

Forums Academic discussion Data mining and analytics Python for data analytics

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rucha Matange
    Participant

I am fairly good at R and have used it in all the analytics classes I have taken at UW. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to learn Python too? Which of the two is more popular/preferable in the industry?

Abhijeet Bhardwaj
    Participant

It depends on the kind of industry you want to target in. R can be leveraged for development of new algorithms where else python is highly use for on-field integration. Generally python might get higher weight in industry because of its flexibility with Java IDE integration, which helps in effortless deployment of of complex algorithm in real-time. On the other hand with my experience Python lacks than R in many fronts of research for example to analyse event data R have a highly cherished package called Survival but I haven’t come across the same in python.  All in all having a knowledge of both would be fruitful for future.

Nate
    Participant

I have taken a Python class at UW (CS301) and it was sort of a “crash course” in Python. I learned a lot about Python and also a bit about SQL. I have also used R for a statistics course and have been using R for ISYE 412 Data Analytics for the past few weeks. So far, I believe R is more straightforward and less complicated that Python to perform data visualizations, but I’m not sure about other analytical tools. It might be useful to have a general understanding of Python but you may not need to go too deep into it.

Gwyneth Simon
    Participant

If you are not planning to pursue a very tech heavy role I think R will be just fine for you. Also, I know many companies have their own preferred software so you may not end up using either. I took CS 220 which I think helped me to get a very great grasp on how to really understand the overall comprehension of how code like that is developed but I really believe a sound background in R serves a similar purpose. My biggest advice is to look into future jobs that you think you would like to work in and see if they require technical coding languages, then make your decision!

adam liusie
    Participant

I am currently taking classes that use Tableau and R for data analytics and I was wondering if it would be recommended to learn how to use python as well since I have some history using it. How useful would it be to learn how to do data analytics on python or do you think that R and Tableau would be sufficient?

Mohammed Syed
    Participant

R and Python are evolving continuously and there are many intersections. Depending upon the focus one may choose one over the other. Knowing both can definitely be helpful. For small data problems, R can be sufficient. However if one would like to work in bigger data type problems dealing with unstructured data such as text/ imaging etc., Python should be looked into. Python is and has historically been more geared to addressing such problems. Looking at the current job market, again, knowing a bit of both would be helpful.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress