Relevance of Julia

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sumukh Ramesh
    Participant

Recently in my job search I came across certain job applications looking for people with experience with Julia programming language. I’m curious about this language.

What is the relevance of Julia in the field of data science?
    How does it fit into the technologies that is commonly used in the data science field such as Python, R, SAS?
    Is there certain field within data science where Julia is used extensively (say in Text processing)?

Alejandro
    Participant

Julia is theorically faster than other languages as python or matlab and it is very useful for some applications which require a lot of computation. However, Julia is a relativelly new language so it isn’t known for many companies yet. I’d strongly recomend to improve your python skills instead of start learnign Julia because it seems that is becoming the most populas language for industry not only in data analytics but also in many other fields. But it is just my personal opinion.

Jean Wei
    Participant

I don’t know much about Julia from a board perspective but I am taking IE524 right now so I am using Julia in a daily basis.  I think it’s getting popular because it is a open source, so that everyone can get access relatively easy. It is very similar to Python, so I don’t find any problem reading and understanding it. I agree with what Alejandro said, improving Python skills might be a safer idea than starting on Julia (They are easy to convert one to another anyway).

Hao Yuan
    Participant

I once talked to a hr from a staffing agency, she told me that almost everyone in the data field knows R and python but not everyone knows ruby or julia. Therefore, I think learning those will really make you stand out from other candidates.

Nawang Singhe
    Participant

Reply to Hao Yuan of #4074:

Can I ask which staffing agency told you this?

Andrew Trotter
    Participant

Thank you all for discussing this software language. I hadn’t previously heard of or gotten exposure to Julia. I’ll be sure to check it out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •