The Job Interview

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Parbs
    Participant

Reaching the end of a job interview, the HR manager asked the young engineer fresh out of university, “And what starting salary were you looking for?”

The engineer said, “In the neighborhood of $100,000 a year, depending on the benefits package.”

The HR Manager said, “Well, what would you say to a package of $200,000 a year, 5 weeks of vacation, 14 paid holidays, full medical and dental, company matching retirement fund to 50% of salary and a company car leased every 2 years – say, a Mercedes?”

The engineer sat up straight and said, “Wow!!! Are you joking?”

And the HR Manager said, “Of course…but you started it.”

Maxsen Berken
    Participant

I don’t think this is a realistic joke. While funny, HR Managers cannot make offers in job interviews like that because of verbal contracts. This type of malpractice can result in lawsuits, and should not be performed in the interviewing landscape.

Jesse Parritz
    Participant

Hearing from several people who have recently accepted certain jobs in silicon valley, banking, and other related fields, $100,000 for fresh out of undergrad seems low in comparison! While of course, 100k is much higher than average, it’s important for an individual to know their worth in the marketplace and what other jobs might be offering (based on Glassdoor, etc.).

Reply to Maxsen Berken of #3641: While I agree with you that this is somewhat a malpractice regrettably and based on personal experience I can attest that both inquiries and statements regarding expected salary are being made during interviews. There are some interesting articles on LinkedIn on this subject:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/from-verbal-offer-written-mark-cunningham/

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/sorry-recruiters-youre-getting-my-salary-history-liz-ryan/

Maxwell Roitstein
    Participant

Always a good idea to have a joke in your back pocket for an interview. I have been asked several times to tell a joke.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress