Top 5 Data Clustering Algorithms

Forums Academic discussion Data mining and analytics Top 5 Data Clustering Algorithms

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Cole 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Justin Pospishil
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

This article states the “Top 5” clustering algorithms for the modern day Data Scientist. Three of these techniques we recently covered in ISye412! I found the article to be a very easy read after recently learning about clustering algorithms and knowing nothing about them prior. If you get a moment, please read it over. For all you visual learners, the animations of each algorithm iteration will make it worth your time, they do a wonderful job reinforcing how each algorithm technique works.

https://towardsdatascience.com/the-5-clustering-algorithms-data-scientists-need-to-know-a36d136ef68

J Weigandt
    Participant

Great post. This visual learner appreciated the animations.

Justin Pospishil
    Participant

Reply to J Weigandt of #4471:

It put the clustering techniques into a whole new perspective for me with the animations.

Ben Razidlo
    Participant

Thanks! There is graphic at the bottom that I have copied for future reference. Great for use as a visual check to see which clustering algorithm has a high likelihood of producing good results based on the characteristics of your data.

Kylie Hellenbrand
    Participant

Reply to Justin Pospishil of #4456: Reply to Justin Pospishil of #4456:

Great post, Justin!

I found the article to be a helpful supplemental resource to the lecture notes provided in class for ISyE 412. I liked how the article explained the methods in more detail, and how it listed several advantages/disadvantages of each. Very helpful for completing HW 5. Thanks for sharing!

Adam Mitchell
    Participant

Wow! After going through that, it all makes a lot more sense and the applications are much clearer. I definitely did not have this understanding of clustering solely based on classroom learnings. I would love to see a bunch of past real-life uses and applications to really understand the power.

Cole
    Participant

Great post! It is cool to see things that we have learned in the classroom also applicable in the real world! It also increases my interest to learn more about how these algorithms are implemented and deployed in practice. Thanks for the post!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress