Undergraduate programs

Forums Social life and activity College application Undergraduate programs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with, or knowledge about, the ISYE programs at the University of Minnesota Duluth or University of Wisconsin Platteville? I know that these are not “top” programs, but do they offer a good education?

Any comments are appreciated…

Madhuvanthi
    Participant

UW-Platteville, has a pretty good engineering department. Their society of women engineers group is very active and does collabarative research with UW-Madison.

Samantha LeBlanc
    Participant

The ISyE programs at UM-Duluth ant UW-Platteville are both ABET accredited, meaning that they meet national standards for industrial engineering programs. You can definitely get a good education at either of them. One difference to consider is how many companies recruit interns and graduates there. It’s a good idea to look at post-graduation outcomes (if this information is available) when you’re comparing schools.

Maximilian
    Participant

Like Sam and Madhu have astutely pointed out, both schools have accreditation (pretty important if you ask me) and have collaborative functions with UW. I would also recommend considering how companies view these schools and their recruiting efforts. After all, the majority of students go to school for a job. For a school like UW, I think its name itself brings in recruiters as well as its pedigree for research.

https://www.uwplatt.edu/files/college-of-ems/PDFs/industrial_engineering_flowchart.pdf

It looks like UW-Platteville has a similar curriculum, but also has a fre/soph level class on engineering modeling and design classes which UW does not have (graphics maybe).

Isabel Nutting
    Participant

Although you did not ask about the  ISyE department at UW-Madison specifically, I am a student in this department and think that it is an extremely important area to study.  It is not offered at many schools, but is a highly desired degree to many corporations and provides you with experience in a multitude of industries.  Going into college I was unsure of what I wanted to do in the future and joining the ISyE department was able to introduce me to various different industries including Healthcare, IT, Manufacturing, and several more.  Regardless of the school, I believe that this is one of the best degrees you could receive, especially if you do not know what you plan to do in the future.

Rebecca Graven
    Participant

I have some friends at UW-Platteville and from what I’ve heard, the Industrial Engineering program is more well suited for Manufacturing Engineering than UW-Madison is. At UW-Platteville, you have to take courses like Statics, Dynamics, Mechanics, Thermo, etc. which means you’d get a slightly more technical/typical engineering background than UW-Madison would provide. UW-Platteville doesn’t offer graduate engineering programs like UW-Madison does, so you would have a lot fewer choices for technical electives (which were some of my favorite courses).

Career Fairs are also a big factor (I’ve gotten all my internships from the career fair). UW-Madison’s career fair is much larger than UW-Platteville’s which I think is another big advantage.

Kalley Anderson
    Participant

I have friends that go to the University of Minnesota Duluth that originally were pursuing Industrial Engineering. They thought the program was pretty good. However, I talked about all of the opportunities I had with being at Madison and they said they did not have even close to as many opportunities. These opportunities include companies at the career fair to classes offered.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •