UW-Madison ISYE Course Recommendations

Forums Social life and activity College life UW-Madison ISYE Course Recommendations

This topic contains 18 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Felix 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Bryan Ritter
    Participant

Entering my final year of undergrad and I was looking for some advice on which Human Factors elective to take.  Currently looking at ISYE 515, does anyone have any recommendations on this course or suggestions of other ones to take?

Bryan Ritter
    Participant

I’m also trying to decide between Acct IS 100 and Acct IS 300.  I’ve heard that both courses are lots of busy work, but does anyone have experience with either course that can offer a recommendation?

Cecilia
    Participant

Reply to Bryan Ritter of #2943:

Take Accounting 300 unless you need 100 for a certificate. 300 is much better.I hear 100 is a prerequisite for business code making it unnecessarily hard.

Bryan Ritter
    Participant

Reply to Cecilia of #2945: Thanks!

Julian
    Participant

Take 300. It’s a huge workload (assignments 3 days a week), but the class itself is very easy considering the exams are worth 10% each and all multiple choice.

Bryan Ritter
    Participant

Reply to Julian of #2955:

Thanks Julian.  I’ve actually received the same advice from many other students and I am enrolled in 300 for this upcoming fall.

Dhananjay Prahladka
    Participant

Reply to Bryan Ritter of #2942: Reply to Bryan Ritter of #2942:

Hi Bryan!

I do not know whether you are still looking for a human factors elective, but I am currently enrolled in ISyE 601 – Human computer interaction, for the fall semester. I have heard it is a really cool course especially if you are interested in computer science.

Huimin Ou
    Participant

ISyE515 is definitely a great class to take. It is similar to senior design class. In ISyE515, you will work with a real company to do a six sigma project. In class, you will have workshops about different Six Sigma tools that you could use such as affinity diagram, interrelationship digraph and tree diagram. When you start your job search, ISyE515 project is something that you could discuss with your potential employer because you have learned so many six sigma tools and could solve real world problems.

ISyE615 (Production Systems Engineering) is also a great class to take if you might work in a manufacturing environment. It will teach you bottleneck analysis and continuous improvement for machines and buffers.

For human factor class, I know ISyE552 (Human Factors Design and Evaluation) is an interesting class. It is about how to use human factor ideas to build prototype and evaluate system flow.

For Accounting, I agree with Cecilia that Accounting 300 is better.

Honghan Ye
    Participant

I am taking 615 this semester. It is an interesting class and you will go to some plants and do a real project with them. The homework workload is not heavy.

Nate Buswell
    Participant

Another class that you might want to consider is ISyE 575.  This class is now only offered online during the summer but it is a great class which introduces a lot of statistical tools used in quality and process improvement.  Specifically, it covers design of experiments and Minitab extensively which is useful if you are looking to go into a manufacturing/quality job.

Zach DeGroote
    Participant

Reply to Bryan Ritter of #2942: Reply to Bryan Ritter of #2942:

Another class I would recommend is ISyE 641: Design and Analysis of Manufacturing Systems.  I am taking the course now, and while it is a graduate-level course, there are a few Senior undergraduates taking the course.  It counts as a quantitative elective (if you’re not able to enroll in 512 or 575).

If you’re interested in manufacturing and lead time reduction, I would definitely recommend it!

Briggam Knott
    Participant

Reply to Bryan Ritter

I would concur with everyone in here that accounting 300 is much better than 100. While still a lot of work, it is not unnecessarily hard like accounting 100 is set up to be.

Briggam Knott
    Participant

If you’re going into a manufacturing setting after college, or something where there will need to be process monitoring, then I recommend ISyE 612 – Information Sensing and Analysis for Manufacturing Processes. It is a very challenging course, but the material you learn is fascinating. The class covers control charts and data monitoring processes I had no idea even existed, and find very applicable after a summer internship in manufacturing. ISyE 412 – Fundamentals of Industrial Data Analytics, is a class that introduces the challenge of handling big data. In 412 it also introduces a software called “Tableau”, which can do amazing things in terms of data presentation and helping find relationships and trends.

Alejandro
    Participant

I also recommend ISyE 515 since the professor has a lot of real experience and he has dealed with many commpanies so you can learn a lot about six sigma tools in a practical way.

Classes are mandatory because you have to do many workshops and you have also to do a project inside a real commpany to improve a process. You don’t need to do any exam if you are going class every day and doing all the homeworks.

Hao Yuan
    Participant

ISyE 515 is highly recommended. You will learn a lot of great tools to improve a process with a real client! Absolutely my favorite class so far just because the projects can make real impacts, 10 times better than other non-sense projects in other classes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress