What Books do you recommend to Read?

Forums Social life and activity College life What Books do you recommend to Read?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Cecilia 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Huimin Ou
    Participant

What books would you recommend for IE students to become successful in their careers.

Ugeun Nyna
    Participant

The goal from eliyahu goldratt.

Yan Zeng

How to succeed with continuous improvement by Joakim Ahlstrom~

This talks about an organization’s change~ maybe u can apply to our daily lives as well~

Sourinthone Bounket
    Participant

Reply to Huimin Ou of #2828:

I have a few books in mind!

I highly recommend The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy. It’s a fantastic – and one of my favorites – book that teaches you simple tips on how to improve your life. This book will make you a great worker, friend, and individual overall. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is graduating or in need of guidance and a new perspective.

If you want to become a better communicator, I recommend How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.  He gives great tips on how we communicate with a variety of people – friends, coworkers, higher ups. I read this book during my 4th year in college, and I wish I read it sooner because it’s made me a better communicator and listener. These skills are extremely important for the industrial engineering career!

Bryan Ritter
    Participant

A great book to read is “The Last Lecture” by Randy Pausch.  This book is absolutely wonderful, it is written by a terminally ill professor about all of the life lessons he wish he could have taught in his lectures.  Doesn’t necessarily apply strictly to IE majors, but it really is insightful about life in general.

Huimin Ou
    Participant

Reply to Bryan Ritter of #2941: Reply to Bryan Ritter of #2941: Reply to Bryan Ritter of #2941: I read this book before. This book is very good. The professor’s definition of life is to achieve his childhood dream. I think everyone has their own definition of life. I agree with you that this book is awesome.

Anonymous

Reply to Huimin Ou of #2828:

In one of my classes last semester we were recommended to use the Memory Jogger 2: Tools for CI and Effective Planning. This is a pocket guide that is a very helpful refresher on many  Continuous Improvement tools. Depending on what field you are working in, it could be a great resource. I plan on keeping a copy with me at my future jobs.

John Kroening
    Participant

“Learning to See” by John Shook is a great book for Value Stream Mapping. Learning this skill will help to understand the value creation process and where the opportunities lie.

Ugeun Nyna recommended “The Goal” by Eliyahu Goldratt. This is a classic. It is fiction based on real world principles for IE’s. The story is a lot fun to read, making it a hard book to put down.

“Getting Things Done” by David Allen is excellent for time management. Time management strategies will change for an IE throughout their career, starting with this method is an outstanding foundation.

Lastly, “The Effective Executive” by Peter Drucker is an excellent supplement to GTD. First print of this book was in the 1960’s but the principles hold up exceptionally well.

Vladimir Bouriakov
    Participant

Outliers by Malcomm Gladwell

Sarah Brennan
    Participant

I would have to agree with How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. It is a great book and very useful, so much so that my company offers courses on that book to help develop better leaders.

wenhao
    Participant

“The Goal” by Eliyahu Goldratt.  A book with real world story line and has been on the top read-list for a long time.

Worth reading

Cindy Chen
    Participant
    “John S. Hammond, Ralph L. Keeney, and Howard Raiffa,
    Smart Choices: A Practical Guide to Making Better Decisions, 2002″
    A good book for leaning decision making which you can apply it among all different kinds of area.

Anonymous

I would recommend <b>Multi-objective Optimization: Principles and Case Studies </b>by Yann Collette and Patrick Siarry.

Jake Birrenkott
    Participant

To become successful in any career, you need to know more than just IE related material. Because of this, I would recommend looking into project leadership books, finance books and other general managerial books. To become a senior level engineer, most of the time managerial and  financial decisions will have to be made.  For sharpening your general non-IE skills I recommend reading 7 habits of highly effective people by Stephen Covey, Finacial Intelligence: A Manager’s Guide to Knowing What the Numbers Really Mean and 21 irrefutable laws of leadership by John Maxwell.  Hope this helps!
    <h1 id=”title” class=”a-spacing-none”><span id=”productTitle” class=”a-size-extra-large”> </span></h1>

Briggam Knott
    Participant

With all the great books thrown out in here with regards to industrial engineering success, I’d like to offer up some books from a different angle. To be successful in any career, IE or not, you need to have a wide array of knowledge and exposure to areas outside of just technical and leadership literature. Two lists of books that I constantly turn to for exposure to these other areas are the lists by Barack Obama, and Elon Musk. They are yearly reading list that I always try and hit a few books from. Haven’t been disappointed yet, and don’t foresee it happening.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress