What Books do you recommend to Read?

Forums Social life and activity College life What Books do you recommend to Read?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Cecilia 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Sumukh Ramesh
    Participant

Some great recommendation of books in this thread. Here’s few more that I found interesting:

I. The professional programmer
    ii. The mythical man month
    iii. Entrepreneur’s “Start Your Own Business”
    iv. Crossing the Chasm
    v. Escape Velocity
    vi. Lean Startup
    vii. Daniel Pink’s “Drive”
    viii. Simon Sinek’s  “Start with Why”
    ix. Simon Sinek’s  “Leaders eat last
    x. Innovator’s dilemma

Grant Tesdahl
    Participant

I recommend two books related to improving personal productivity: “Getting Things Done” by David Allen and “Deep Work” by Cal Newport. They compliment each other nicely and advocate for a task-based system while minimizing distractions to reach your goals in a time-effective manner.

Megan Klubertanz
    Participant

“The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business” by Charles Duhigg was a fantastic read with connections to IE principles. The book goes through what a habit is and how it is developed, habits on micro levels (personal) and habits on macro levels (organizations/ businesses). Cases included the buying habits of people at Target and how data analysis(ISyE 412) was able to create better targeted campaigns, so much so that their model predicted someone was pregnant before their family members knew. Another case went through how keystone habits greatly impacted a business’s success which started with safety. I found a lot of underlying IE principles within this easy and fun to read book! 10/10

Here is a nice summary! http://www.deconstructingexcellence.com/the-power-of-habit-summary/

Bella
    Participant

Reply to Huimin Ou of #2828: Reply to Huimin Ou of #2828:

Hi Huimin,

I would recommend The Goal by Eliyahu Goldratt, Outliers by Malcomm Gladwell and Freakonomics by Stephen J. Dubner and Steven Levitt. All of these books I found to be not only extremely interesting but also helpful in teaching lessons that can be applied to the workplace and life in general. Freakonomics is one of my favorite books because it makes connections between 2 seemingly different topics and explains how people are motivated.

Felix
    Participant

I would recommend The Invisible Gorilla by Christopher Chabris and Daniel Simons. This book highlights the importance of noticing the little things and how the brain does not detect certain visual aspects of our life.

I would also recommend David and Goliath by Malcom Gladwell. This book give you perspective on how “improbable” life events are not only probably but possible. These insights help the reader understand how these scenarios can help us become smarter and think clearer.

Lastly, I would recommend 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey. This book give the reader tools to use 7 proper habits to become a more efficient and productive person.

Adam Mitchell
    Participant

Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life…And Maybe the World by William McRaven.

Well written, and great message/motivation.

Cecilia
    Participant

I know the topic said to become successful in their careers, but I’d like to add a couple of books I found enjoyable in general. It could be helpful so that when someone asks what was your favorite book you recently read you have something interesting to say rather than “Oh I’m so busy I don’t read.”

“One Second After”<span data-ved=”2ahUKEwjg-q3-ruHhAhUNVK0KHbK4DLgQ2kooAjAUegQICxAL”> by William R. Forstchen is about life after an electromagnetic pulse attack in the US.</span>
    “Hidden Figures” by Margot Lee Shetterly which I thought would follow the movie but doesn’t so it feels totally new.
    While it’s hard to find the time during school it’s also hard to find that time while working full time. Just find that time because it’s worth it!
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress