What is the seed number in generating random number?

Forums Academic discussion Simulation What is the seed number in generating random number?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sara
    Participant

When I generate a series of random number, I wonder to know the role of seed number. What is the function of seed number and how to set a seed number effficiently? If I want to generate a series of normal distribution, which factors should I consider about when I set a seed number?

Changyue Song
    Keymaster

Hi, Sara. Random number generator is a program taking a number as an input and producing a ‘random’ number as output (It seems random but actually not). The following equation is an example of a random number generator:

$$ X_{n+1} = (a X_n +b) \quad mod \quad m $$

After determination of $ a, b, m$, we can produce a ‘random’ number $X_{n+1}$ by $X_n$. What we need is $X_0$ then we can generate a series of numbers. Here $X_0$ is a seed.

Generally a seed can be set to any number you like. If you do a simulation which consists of a lot of random number generations, you can repeat the simulation and get the same result by setting the seed to be the same value.

Kaibo Liu
    Keymaster

Changyue’s answer is correct.

Sara
    Participant

Than you for your reply. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress