What Python IDEs do you use?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  John Ikon 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Benjamin Morris
    Participant

A friend of mine has suggested switching from Wing to PyCharm.  Are there any other environments out there that are worth looking into?  I’m fairly new to the Python world – most of my prior programming experience has been in R and MATLAB.

Jeffrey Lewis
    Participant

If you’re looking for a full blown IDE either of these would work. As an undergrad and grad, so far I’ve done most of my coding for research in python

Personally, I have always used a much lighter framework for coding in python because it compiles at runtime; the code is run in the console (PowerShell or Command Prompt in Windows). If I need to work in something like C or even Java then I’ll reach for an IDE (Microsoft Visual Studio or Eclipse respectively). If you’re from UW, you’ll probably remember Eclipse from CS 302; it should work for python as well.

As for the lighter options, on Windows, Notepad++ (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/)  is an open source editor that will highlight and help format python code. It has collapsible blocks and a right margin if desired.

If you’re using Linux, Kate ( <span style=”font-family: Courier New;”>sudo apt-get install kate</span>) is a decent editor and should already be installed with most releases as an alternative to gedit. It has basically the same features as notepad++ except it’s Linux native and the features are laid out slightly differently.

In summary, it depends on what you are looking for, a full blown IDE or something that will simply “spell check” your code, stay out of your way, and let you work from the command line.

Jeffrey Lewis
    Wisconsin '15 BS IE
    Georgia Tech '17x MS Aerospace

Huimin Ou
    Participant

You can use LiClipse to run python. LiClipse supports 15 programming languages.

Hao Yuan
    Participant

I like Pycharm the most. Managing third-party packages is super easy!

John Ikon
    Participant

The best IDE in my experience is “Microsoft Visual Studio Code”.

It has to be VS code. it lightweight, easy to configure and has a terminal right in the application so no need to go to CMD to troubleshoot or run your code.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress