Why did you choose ISyE major?

Forums Social life and activity College life Why did you choose ISyE major?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan Yan 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Bella
    Participant

Reply to Shuaikun Hou of #4081:

Hi Shuaikun!

I came into college thinking I wanted to be an engineer but I wasn’t exactly sure what kind. I had an interest in healthcare so I though biomedical engineering would be for me. However, after taking the Intro to Engineering course I learned about ISyE and thought it sounded really interesting and wanted to know more. I made an appointment with my advisor and we talked about the differences between BME and ISyE. My advisor told me that ISyE would be more interactive and collaborative than BME and would involve courses across multiple disciplines. After that advising appointment I decided to switch my major to ISyE because I liked the diverse course work and the business aspect of the major. I also liked that I could easily obtain certificates with an ISyE major because a lot of certificates require ISyE courses. I am so happy with my decision to pursue ISyE!

Julia Hewitt
    Participant

Like most engineers, I really liked math and science in high school, and wanted to dos something with those subjects. However, I found that I didn’t always like the technical or lab aspects of a lot of hard science classes and was also interested in some of my business classes, like accounting. I ended up choosing Industrial Engineering because it was described to me as the bridge between engineering and business. Now that I’m in the major, I really enjoy how versatile IE knowledge can be.

Alec Bernstein
    Participant

I decided to switch from ME to ISyE during my freshman year because I was unsure  of what I wanted to do career wise post graduation. After taking an initial Intro to Engineering Class, I was exposed to all the different engineering majors offered at UW-Madison. I realized that the IE program offered a variety of classes focused on different subjects. I was intrigued by the opportunity to gain an engineering degree, but also be able to take classes such as Accounting, Econ, and Engineering Financial Analysis. All of the IE courses have prepared me to be able to go in almost any direction with my career path.

Emily Vesper
    Participant

I chose IE since I completed an internship after my freshman year and I absolutely loved it! As an IE I knew I would be able to recruit with more companies and have a wide choice of industries since there is room for optimization in all fields. The IE coursework fascinated me as well. I am fortune to be able to take classes in a wide range of valuable topics like inventory/supply chain, simulation, data analytics, healthcare, and manufacturing.

Rebecca Graven
    Participant

When applying to colleges, I knew I wanted to study engineering, but I didn’t know which type. One of my high school teachers told me to look at the required courses for each major and make my decision based on which classes I thought I’d like the most. The Industrial Engineering classes looked the most interesting to me (especially since I really enjoyed my high school statistics class) and it ended up being a perfect fit!

Kalley Anderson
    Participant

I started as a BME but quickly realized that my career opportunities were very limited. When I learned what Industrial Engineering was and how many different fields and areas you could work for, I realized that was the major I wanted to do.

Chenyi Zhao
    Participant

I was studied in college for undecided major for 2 years. After different ways of major hunting, I finally decided to choose Industrial Engineering became my major. IE actually is a highly applicable major. You can easily apply your knowledge into your work. In addition, you can explore a different field of study, instead of focus on one field.

Graham Dalsing
    Participant

To me, ISyE is one of the most effective forms of engineering in terms of real world problem solving. ISyE majors are tasked with converting the abstract (be it a engineering drawing or prototype) and making it a real and easily manufactured product.

Stephen Bosak
    Participant

I chose to major in IE fairly early actually. I knew I wanted to major in it since junior year of high school which is pretty rare. I loved the versatility of the major because you can go down so many different paths with it. I personally liked the marriage of the solid business background and engineering principles. I will be going into the business world myself as a technical solutions seller at IBM. This is just one of many jobs you can get with this major. I find it interesting that I can apply my strong business background in the sales portion of my job and my coding/engineering problem solving in the technology part of my job.

Ryan Yan
    Participant

I feel like IE is a good middle ground between hardcore engineering and hardcore economics/finance. It has the goodness of both worlds— you get to take some business classes as well as engineering ones, you can get taste of what different types of engineers do and what it is like to study business with an engineering perspective. Industrial engineering also provides a very wide selection of career options— from consulting to manufacturing to quality engineering to health care… since it’s such a comprehensive yet high level major, the stuff you learned can be applied almost anywhere.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress